Otolaryngologists, commonly known as ENTs, are physicians who are specifically trained in the medical and surgical management of the ear, nose and throat, as well as related structures of the head and neck. They have extensive training in treating disorders in these areas. ENTs begin their residency training only after completing a four year medical school program. Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery residency programs are highly selective and accept less than 300 doctors per year. After successful completion of the five year residency program, an ENT will complete a vigorous written and oral examination in order to receive their Board Certification. At this point in their career an ENT can either practice medicine or apply to a formal fellowship program. Doctor Silva elected to complete an additional year long Pediatric Otolaryngology Head and Neck Fellowship at a children’s hospital, earning his specialty certification in pediatrics.
Extensive medical and surgical training is required to become an ENT. After a rigorous five year residency, we are board certified in seven areas of expertise:
· Otology/Neurotology- diseases of the ear, birth or acquired hearing loss, ear and mastoid infections, and facial nerve disorders.
· Pediatric Otolaryngology- diseases of children including birth defects, tumors or growths, airway obstruction, and hearing loss, sinus conditions, nasal obstruction, sleep apnea, and hearing loss and testing.
· Head and Neck- including cancerous and noncancerous tumors, trauma to the neck, and thyroid and salivary gland surgery.
· Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery- including cosmetic, traumatic, and functional surgery of the facial skin, ears, nose, and eyes. We specialize in corrections of the prominent ear and deformed nose.
· Rhinology- including nasal obstruction, tumors, sinus problems, allergy management, trauma, repair of brain fluid leaks, endoscopic tear duct surgery, and infections of the nose.
· Laryngology- including cancer, tumors, voice problems, swallowing problems, and reflux effects on the voice box, vocal cord paralysis or nodules.
· Allergy- including medical management of allergies as well as surgical correction of the obstructed nasal passage resulting from the allergy.
This is only a partial list of the many innovative procedures and treatments that we perform for disorders in the Head and Neck region.